Following the passage of HB 3399 in May 2014, which repealed the Common Core State Standards in Oklahoma, the U.S. Department of Education revoked our ESEA waiver last week. As a relative “noob” on the education scene, I’m going to defer to the opinions and insights of more experiences educators and reporters. You can read about the effects of these political antics on the following websites written by #oklaed leaders:
- Playing The Waiver Game! by Rob Miller
- What A Week Today Was! by OkEducationTruths
- Words, Words, Wordles by Claudia Swisher
- Pruitt Weighs Legal Action Against Federal Government Over NCLB Waiver Denial by Nate Robson
- #OklaEd Has A Few Questions! by Rob Miller
- Law Professor Says Duncan’s Actions Un-Constitutional
I am a secondary English Language Arts teacher, a University of Oklahoma student working on my Master’s of Education in Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum with an concentration in English Education, and a NBPTS candidate. I am constantly seeking ways to amplify my students’ voices and choices.